How does the audition work?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. The Music Director auditions each girl, and the process generally takes less than fifteen minutes. Prepared music is not required for auditions. See below for more details about the audition itself.
Audition times are available for our 2017-2018 season!
Please follow this link to schedule an audition.
Is there an age limit?
We audition girls from ages 7 through high school. Most start in our Etude program. In some cases, girls with previous musical training can go right into Cantata or Concerto.
Is prior music training necessary?
No. Although prior music experience is helpful, girls will have lessons on music theory and receive vocal training.
What if my daughter or music student doesn't think she's good enough?
If she has a sincere interest, encourage her to audition anyway. Some of our most gifted girls were reluctant to audition because they were afraid they weren’t good enough.
Does my daughter have to give up the school or church choir?
Absolutely not! Girls are encouraged to stay actively involved in all of their other choirs, as well as other activities such as sports and clubs.
What kind of time commitment is necessary?
Etude A practices Mondays from 4:30 to 5:45, Etude B practices Mondays from 6:00 to 7:15, and Etude C practices Fridays from 4:30 to 5:45. The whole group practices the first Saturday of every month from 9:00 to 10:30.
Cantata practices Tuesdays, with the Sopranos rehearsing 4:30 to 5:45, and the Altos rehearsing 6:00 to 7:15. The whole ensemble rehearses every Saturday (except the first of the month) from 9:00 to 10:30.
Concerto practices every Thursday 4:30 to 6:30 and every Saturday from 10:45 to noon.
What is the cost and what if we need assistance with tuition?
Tuition is $1150 for the year (subject to change), with full and partial scholarships available for those in need.
- Parents/Guardians will fill out an online form to register via our iPad.
- Singers will be adjudicated by our faculty in one of our rehearsal rooms.
- We ask that parents/families not record audio or video of any audition.
- A 10-20 minute audition.
- Girls do not need to prepare anything special.
- She simply needs to be relaxed and ready to sing for us.
- Get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water, and approach the audition with a great attitude!
What to expect in the audition (What she does not know we will teach her.)
- Basic questions about age, school, and prior musical experience if any. Vocal warm ups to assess range and timbre
- Standard scales
- Melodic pattern rote learning (mimicking melodies)
- Ear training (identifying pitches that she hears)
- Solfege (do re mi fa sol la ti do')
- Learning a simple folk tune and/or a passage from our core repertoire.
- Your daughter may sing us a song of her choosing: a patriotic song, a song from school/church/music class, or any other tune she may know. A whole song is not necessary, 32 bars is sufficient. (Please no "Happy Birthday" song)
- This is more of a time for us to get to know your daughter as well as become acquainted her vocal abilities. We are not looking for perfection just potential for growth and raw talent.